When the leaves start to brown and the air becomes crisp, there’s nothing better to warm you up than a latte (or in my case, one too many Pumpkin Spiced Latte’s) and a spiced loaf cake.
Nothing screams Autumn more than hearty ingredients such as cinnamon, maple and nutmeg, so we’ve combined spice with delicious Canadian pure maple syrup to create the ultimate Autumn snack.
So instead of digging into to a calorific chocolate cake or buying a Starbucks Banana Bread, try out our healthier, budget-friendly and delicious Spiced Maple Loaf.
290g plain flour
2 tbsp self-raising flour
125ml butter milk
2 tsp ground cinnamon
35 ml canadian maple syrup
2 apples, grated
2 tsp nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 180°
- Sift spices, plain and self-raising flour into a bowl.
- Melt or soften the butter and add it to the flour mix.
- Add in the eggs, apple and maple syrup and mix.
- Slowly start folding in the buttermilk.
- Mix until it becomes a lumpy batter.
- The batter should be lumpy.
- Pour batter into pan and smooth out the surface of the batter.
- Bake in the oven for about 40-50 minutes or until cake is lightly browned on top.
- Let the cake cool and serve!
We suggest cutting the loaf into bread-like slices and serving with any leftover buttermilk and drizzling (or in my case, dousing) maple syrup on top.
Spiced Maple Loaf also makes for a great breakfast with yoghurt and berries or go super indulgent and warm up a slice for dessert with ice cream on top.
Want to cook more? Try out our healthy and delicious Tabouleh recipe.
Liked this recipe? Don’t forget to tweet us your photos @2BrunettesUK